Thursday, October 14, 2010

Drink it up

So I was sitting at the computer this morning, enjoying a Fiber One Bar with chocolate chips in it and a latte from the cafe on campus when a thought (which is not new to me or many others) occurred to me.  "Gee why is this cup of delicious steamed milk and espresso so darn expensive?"  A little Googling and common sense led me to this conclusion:  Because we'll pay for it.  Yes, I admit it.  I have paid way too much for coffee, but I also admit that I like it, gosh darn it.

For those of you who would rather reason your way out of consumer guilt, I recommend this article from the blog Bad Money Advice:  http://badmoneyadvice.com/2009/05/the-end-of-the-latte-era.html.  I like how he talks about the "Latte Factor" as a "Popeye Ploy."  What cute terminology for a social phenomenon like $4 lattes.
Anyway, I choose not to feel guilty for this morning's latte.  It is yummy, already paid for (using meal plan "flex points"), and heck, it might even help me prevent Parkinson's disease. (http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/coffee_health_benefits).

Even more than coffee, I appreciate a good cup of tea.  There is nothing more delightful than conversation with Mom and friends over a perfectly brewed pot of tea and no place is cuter than a home town tea room.  The attention that goes into every pot is important, but only a true tea lover will recognize this.  Depending on the type of tea you want to make, the temperature of the water you use and the brewing time is different.  Basically, you don't want to over-boil your white and green teas because their flavors are more delicate than your black teas, which do require boiling water.  I respect everyone's personal preferences, but I must say my favorite teas are Darjeeling, Jasmine Green Tea, and good old Earl Grey.  Yumm...

Tea is really quite cool, because all true tea (except herbal "tea") comes from one plant, the Camellia sinensis.  The type of tea produced depends on where the tea was grown, at what altitude, and the climate of the location.  When the tea leaves were picked, how they were heat- and moisture- treated, as well as how much they were crushed also effects the tea.  Tea has quite an interesting science behind it!   When choosing tea, know that the smaller the leaves are, the lower the quality of the drink will be.  Look for loose tea or "pyramid bags" that allow water to circulate around the leaves.  Pay attention to the smell and color of the tea and learn about what you like and what you don't.  Most of all, brew your tea with love.

At home in the cupboard sits my tea cup collection, which I insist be used and not just admired.  I enjoy using my beautiful tea cups because they remind me of the people who gave them to me.  Every delicate cup has a story behind it, from where it was found to the occasion on which it was given.  I have cups from birthdays, Christmases, and even thrift store finds, which can be as exciting as a holiday.  One of my best cups (because it has a great shape for holding and drinking tea) was a gift from my Grandmother and her husband Roland.  It is decorated with "September" in beautiful script and lovely purple flowers.  I love visiting Grandma and Roland because we always drink green tea brewed English style.  Roland shared wonderful stories about how his mother, a true Brit, always used a brown tea pot made from a particular type of pottery with a spout that turned down.  Oh, how I wish to know the traditions of all tea drinkers!  I truly believe tea is a unifying thing in our culture and in our world.  The tea party is a symbol of tradition and refinement in many cultures, especially in Japan.  Attending a Japanese tea ceremony is definitely on my list of things to do before I die.  I hope to learn more about the world through my love of tea.

So remember:  Love your coffee, love your tea, but most of all, love the people you share these delightful beverages with.

sources:
http://www.coffee-tea.co.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea

2 comments:

  1. ANNE, YOU'RE POSTS HAVE BEEN BEYOND DELIGHTFUL THIS WEEK. I LOVE THIS ONE. THANK YOU!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea and coffee are both wonderful, but lately I've really been enjoying yerba mate (Mate Chocolatté, to be exact). It's quite exotic and delicious.

    ReplyDelete