Sunday, October 10, 2010

My weekend on the high-ropes


For a New Beginning
In out-of-the-way places of the heart,
Where your thoughts never think to wander,
This beginning has been quietly forming,
Waiting until you were ready to emerge.
For a long time it has watched your desire,
Feeling the emptiness growing inside you,
Noticing how you willed yourself on,
Still unable to leave what you had outgrown.
It watched you play with the seduction of safety
And the gray promises that sameness whispered,
Heard the waves of turmoil rise and relent,
Wondered would you always live like this.
Then the delight, when your courage kindled,
And out you stepped onto new ground,
Your eyes young again with energy and dream,
A path of plenitude opening before you.
Though your destination is not yet clear
You can trust the promise of this opening;
Unfurl yourself into the grace of beginning
That is at one with your life's desire.
Awaken your spirit to adventure;
Hold nothing back, learn to find ease in risk;
Soon you will be home in a new rhythm,
For your soul senses the world that awaits you.
~ John O'Donohue ~

What a wonderful poem... and what a wonderful beginning to an amazing weekend!
I recently participated in Dominican University's Emerging Leaders Retreat, a weekend of adventure and discovery for a fantastic group of freshmen. We were sent off to the Outdoor Wisconsin Leadership School (OWLS) in Wisconsin by President Donna Carrol and Vice President Sr. Diane Kennedy, the amazing leaders of this University. Sr. Diane read this poem to us before we left with our host of eager frosh, excited student leaders, and patient staff members.
Now, if you think this was an ordinary group of college kids, you are oh so wrong. These were (and still are, I suppose) the kind of people who actually like ice-breaker games because they are a good way to make friends. They will do their best to line up in order of birthday without stepping off of a foot-high log or speaking because "mysterious dust" is in their throats. They might even strap themselves into a harness and traverse a rope bridge or walk across logs 30 feet in the air. They are blue, gold, green, orange, and a jumbled mix of these fascinating "color characteristics" (more about that later). Most of all, they care. These are the type of people who are passionate about leading others to a better world through peaceful action. Ghandi's quote, "Be the change you wish to see in the world" adorns their t-shirts, which they believe wholeheartedly. What amazing people. How lucky I am to call them my classmates and friends.

The camp was beautiful, the weather was nippy but nice, the stars were innumerable, the s'mores were perfectly gooey, the conversations were meaningful and the laughter was endless. I especially liked zip-lining down from the high-ropes course... because it meant I would be on the ground!
For me, the most amazing part about the retreat was being called a "social butterfly." That's right, me! A social butterfly! What?? Apparently, I'm coming out of my cocoon. All I know is that I enjoy every chance I get to stretch my growing butterfly wings.

To all of my ladybugs, blue people, Brunk Cabin-mates, and s'more lovers: I look forward to "being the change" with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment