Monday, October 18, 2010

Holy cow-eth!

Last week I had the pleasure of attending a performance of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater.  Talk about being blown away-eth!  I was overcome with emotion when I simply walked into the exquisite playhouse, which has a stage that protrudes into the three-tiered house.  The composition of the theater brings thoughts of what the Globe Theater might have looked like... though on a smaller scale.  The group of students and teachers I went with had seats in the front rows along the right side of the stage.  Let's just say that I not only had a perfect view of the balcony scene (swoon), but I was also close enough to the stage to be showered with Shakespearean-articulation-spittle.  The entire show was absolutely magical.  In this production, directed by Gale Edwards, the Montagues and Capulets were plucked out of old Verona and placed in a warped modern world with graffiti-sprayed doors and fantastic party dresses.  The charm of old times was not lost, however, because the actors always spoke in Old English.  The show was so well done, I had to shut my gaping mouth when the house lights came up... I had almost forgotten I was in a theater.

The actors were incredible.  They were all well trained in theater... I could tell by the way they swooshed their costumes and dramatically ran off stage at the end of their monologues.  Romeo looked strangely similar to Edward Cullen/Robert Pattinson, though his abs were slightly more realistic.  Juliet, most likely in her twenties, was a convincing 14 year old who had temper tantrums, a great giggle, and sweet costumes.  Friar Lawrence was a kick as he was raised onto the stage with a glowing, bubbling, multicolored chemistry set... complete with swirly tubes, fog, and all the goods.  In my mind, the star of the show was the Nurse, who was a feisty black lady with a fabulous matronly swagger and the BEST costumes (think BIG sleeves and red heels, yeah girl).  Mercutio was dirrrrty (haha) and did a great job (though I would hold KTG's performance up to his any day... seriously.)  The fight scenes were extremely epic and even the set changes were exciting.  What a great show!

I was surrounding by a wonderful group of students and teachers.  On my left side was my fellow musical-junkie friend who knows the Chicago theaters well.  On my right was another friend who had never seen a professional show.  My, was it interesting to watch the performance between two extremes of the theater world!  The girl to my right constantly gasped when something unexpected would happen-- for instance, she muttered "oh, woah, what's going on?" as the live Juliet stripped down to her undies to change into her party dress and later when she was joined by her husband in her chamber.  It sure is amazing how different the sensation is to an audience when a performer is present rather than projected onto a screen.  Somehow this seems to intensify all of the action and meaning of the show, for that one show can truly only happen once, in that moment.  "Is that right?" suddenly becomes a true question in reference to the actions of the actors on stage, rather than unquestioned recordings of a movie.

Another interesting part of the show was intermission, when I took the mandatory fifteen minute break to wait in line for the ladies' room.  A girl who looked to be about 11 years old was with her mom, who asked "so what do you think of the show?"  The girl, who was obviously enjoying her evening of being spoiled to dinner and a show smiled and said "they say 'thee' and 'thou' a lot! Thee thou thee thee thou thee thou thou thee thee thee."  Her giggles were the cutest thing... she reminded me of a trip to Chicago I made at her age with my Aunt KK and my Mom.  I was also spoiled to a fabulous day in the city, which I chose to spend mainly in the American Girl Store :)

Let's just say, I want to go back to the Chicago Shakespeare Theater.  Soon.  And I want to take you with me.  Alas, "parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night 'til it be 'morrow."

1 comment:

  1. Just letting you know, I passed along the Versatile Blogger Award to you. Read about it in my latest post,

    http://curiousloveofgreen.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/the-versatile-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete