Monday, August 2, 2010

"Anything too stupid to be said is sung" -Voltaire

Hum dee dum, while I'm at it, I think I'll make a rambling list of my favorite musicals... for yes, I do, indeed, love musicals.


An orderly list of Annwithane's favorite musicals in order of preference with the inclusion of a favorite song or number from each show:

1. South Pacific~ The Rogers and Hammerstein masterpiece. A social commentary with beautiful melodies, delightful lyrics, magical orchestrations and fantastic accents. My favorite, hands down.
Favorite song: A Cockeyed Optimist (I like to think of this as my theme song)

3. The Music Man~ Lida Rose, Gary Indiana, My White Knight, 76 trombones and a whole lot more. Trust me.
Favorite song: Lida Rose

4. Ragtime~ Intertwining stories, dramatic themes, historical truths, and lots and lots of gorgeous music.
Favorite song: Our Children / Buffalo Nickel Photoplay, Inc.

4. The Last 5 Years~ Two amazing singers and fourteen amazing songs. Thank you, Jason Robert Brown for this amazing piece of art.
Favorite song: Nobody Needs to Know

5. Into the Woods~ Cinderella was never the same after ever after...
Favorite song: No One Is Alone

6. Parade~ Though I have yet to see it on stage, I have fallen in love with the music. Another stirring, historically based show.
Favorite song: Finale

7. 42nd Street~ Any show you go to for the tap dancing is good enough for me, in fact, it's close to perfect.
Favorite song: A Quarter to Nine (usually sung by the ladies)

8. Rent~ Yes, I sound like a typical musical geek, but honestly, once you see the stage show, the movie will never suffice again.
Favorite song: Finale B

Ah, there are many more, but I simply can't list them all... By the way, I know a true friend when he/she can identify this list of mine. In order.
I'd love to hear what your favorites are... come on, I know you like musicals too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment