Monday, August 2, 2010

Just being here is winning


Dearest friends,
I would like very much to like to apologize for the utter lack of postings over the last few days. Honestly, I have been rather busy and unable to think of things interesting enough for all of you, whom I desire never to bore :)

That said, let's get down to business.


Part of the reason I have been so fantastically preoccupied is my involvement in a musical called The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee which is the inaugural production of the theater group SUA Summerstock. It is a silly and lighthearted show that is great fun to be a part of. The show is set at THE 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (go figure) where 10 school-aged children put everything on the line to win the opportunity to compete in the national spelling bee. I have the pleasure of playing Miss Rona Lisa Peretti, the delightful and charming host of the bee, who loves her role ever so much because it reminds her of her glory days... 22 years ago when she won the 3rd Annual Spelling Bee. The show deals with the pressures of prepubescence, family matters, the trials of making friends, health related issues and awareness as well as many other hilarious, if often overused or perhaps misused themes of life (honestly, how many cliche stories have you heard about sharing your dessert to make a friend? You won't find that here...). I would recommend that you come see it. You have three opportunities to do so: August 13th and14th at 8:00 pm, as well as August 15th at 2:00 pm. It will take place in the "old gym" at St. Ursula Academy in Toledo. Keep an eye out for me, I'll be the one in the hot pink power suit.

The most incredible part of this show is its production. This cast, crew and production staff is surprisingly composed entirely of high school students ages 16-18 (with the inclusion of an adult moderator... who is sometimes more of a kid than the rest of us). Imagine a group of about 24 people coming together and putting on a show just because it's what they love to do. Perhaps that happens all the time in community theater, but how often are the producers, directors, tech crew, and actors ALL unprofessional kids?? Naturally, this freshness comes with the price of inexperience, but there is certainly no lack of learning going on, especially since we have the support and guidance of several local schools, especially our host school. Oh, and trust me, there is absolutely no lack of talent either! The dancing, singing and acting is superb, and I can testify to that myself. For me, this is a lifesaver, for I was dreading the day I would have to end my high school musical career. At least I have one more chance to perform with a family-cast of high school buddies, a motley crew of the best theater-loving (if not obsessed) chiquitos. I love them all and am blessed to be a part of such an amazing show.


For more information about really super awesome, totally worth your while show, visit the SUA blog at http://suasummerstock.blogspot.com/.

1 comment:

  1. "Keep an eye out for me, I'll be the one in the hot pink power suit."...yes.

    ReplyDelete